🧲 2023 AP Physics 2 Study Plan
Welcome to this plethora of resources that cover everything! This toolkit is constantly being updated with more resources! AP Physics 2 is an algebra-based, college-level course where you will continue developing an understanding of important physics concepts like systems, interactions, change, and conservation through inquiry-driven study and lab experiences.
The AP Physics 2 Exam
A breakdown of the exam content by percentage.
|Unit||Exam Weighting (MCQ)|
|Unit 1: Fluids||10%–12%|
|Unit 2: Thermodynamics||12%–18%|
|Unit 3: Electric Force, Field, and Potential||18%–22%|
|Unit 4: Electric Circuits||10%–14%|
|Unit 5: Magnetism and Electromagnetic Induction||10%–12%|
|Unit 6: Geometric and Physical Optics||12%–14%|
|Unit 7: Quantum, Atomic, and Nuclear Physics||10%–12%|
By taking AP Physics 2, you’ll gain a variety of skills that will help you think and practice like a physicist.
|Skill||Description||Exam Weighting (MCQ)||Exam Weighting (FRQ)|
|1. Modeling||Use representations and models to communicate scientific phenomena and solve scientific problems.||28%–30%||11%–23%|
|2. Mathematical Routines||Use mathematics appropriately.||16%–18%||18%–30%|
|3. Scientific Questioning||Engage in scientific questioning to extend thinking or to guide investigations within the context of the AP course.||N/A||N/A|
|4. Experimental Methods||Plan and implement data-collection strategies in relation to a particular scientific question.||2%–4%||6%–14%|
|5. Data Analysis||Perform data analysis and evaluation of evidence.||10%–12%||6%–16%|
|6. Argumentation||Work with scientific explanations and theories.||26%–28%||22%–41%|
|7. Making Connections||Connect and relate knowledge across various scales, concepts, and representations in and across domains.||12%–16%||2%–11%|
Study Guides for Every Unit
💧 Unit 1 - Fluids
- 1.0 Unit 1 Overview
- 1.1 Fluid Systems
- 1.2 Density
- 1.3 Pressure and Forces
- 1.4 Fluids and Free-Body Diagrams
- 1.5 Buoyancy
- 1.6 Conservation of Energy in Fluid Flow
- 1.7 Conservation of Mass Flow Rate in Fluids
🔥 Unit 2 - Thermodynamics
- 2.1 Thermodynamic Systems
- 2.2 Pressure, Thermal Equilibrium, and the Ideal Gas Law
- 2.3 Thermodynamics and Forces
- 2.4 Thermodynamics and Free-Body Diagrams
- 2.6 Heat and Energy Transfer
- 2.7 Internal Energy and Energy Transfer
- 2.8 Thermodynamics and Elastic Collisions: Conservation of Momentum
- 2.9 Thermodynamics and Inelastic Collisions: Conservation of Momentum
- 2.10 Thermal Conductivity
- 2.11 Probability, Thermal Equilibrium, and Entropy
⚡️ Unit 3 - Electric Force, Field, and Potential
- 3.1 Electric Systems
- 3.2 Electric Charge
- 3.3 Conservation of Electric Charge
- 3.4 Charge Distribution — Friction, Conduction, and Induction
- 3.5 Electric Permittivity
- 3.6 Introduction to Electric Forces
- 3.7 Electric Forces and Free-Body Diagrams
- 3.8 Describing Electric Force
- 3.9 Gravitational and Electromagnetic Forces
- 3.10 Vector and Scalar Fields
- 3.11 Electric Charges and Fields
- 3.12 Isolines and Electric Fields
- 3.13 Conservation of Electric Energy
💡 Unit 4 - Electric Circuits
- 4.1 Definition and Conservation of Electric Charge
- 4.2 Resistivity and Resistance
- 4.3 Resistance and Capacitance
- 4.4 Kirchhoff's Loop Rule
🧲 Unit 5 - Magnetism and Electromagnetic Induction
🔍 Unit 6 - Geometric and Physical Optics
- 6.1 Waves
- 6.2 Electromagnetic Waves
- 6.3 Periodic Waves
- 6.4 Refraction, Reflection, and Absorption
- 6.5 Images From Lenses and Mirrors
- 6.6 Interference and Diffraction
⚛️ Unit 7 - Quantum, Atomic, and Nuclear Physics
- 7.1 Systems and Fundamental Forces
- 7.2 Radioactive Decay
- 7.3 Energy in Modern Physics
- 7.4 Mass-Energy Equivalence
- 7.5 Properties of Waves and Particles
- 7.6 Photoelectric Effect
AP Physics 2 MCQ
- ✍🏽 Ultimate Guide to the AP Physics 2 Exam: A point-by-point breakdown of the entire exam, including MCQ and FRQ prompts, rubrics, tips, and more!
- 📝 MCQ Help: A complete breakdown of the multiple-choice component of the exam, including tips and tricks!
- 📕 Best AP Physics 2 Textbooks and Prep Books: A complete breakdown of the best textbooks and prep books that will help you succeed in AP Physics 2!
- 🤔 How to Get a 5 in AP Physics 2: Tips and tricks from an AP Physics 2 student on the best ways to be successful when taking the AP Physics 2 exam!
- 🏫 How Do I Self-Study AP Physics 2?: Thinking about self-studying or homeschooling AP Physics 2? We got you!
- 🤯 Is AP Physics 2 Hard? Is AP Physics 2 Worth Taking?: A breakdown of the two most asked questions about AP Physics 2, including tips and advice from previous AP Physics 2 students.
Check out all of our AP Physics 2 Resources!
- Where can I find Fiveable's AP Physics 2 resources?
- Do you provide support for AP Physics 2?
- Does Fiveable help students pass the AP Physics 2 exam?