💡 2023 AP Physics C: E&M Study Plan
Welcome to this plethora of resources that cover everything! This toolkit is constantly being updated with more resources! AP Physics C: E&M is a calculus-based, college-level course where you will develop an understanding of important physics concepts like change, force interactions, fields, and conservation through inquiry-driven study and lab experiences.
The AP Physics C: E&M Exam
A breakdown of the exam content by percentage.
|Unit||Exam Weighting (MCQ)|
|Unit 1: Electrostatics||26%–34%|
|Unit 2: Conductors, Capacitors, Dielectrics||14%–17%|
|Unit 3: Electric Circuits||17%–23%|
|Unit 4: Magnetic Fields||17%–23%|
|Unit 5: Electromagnetism||14%–20%|
By taking AP Physics C: E&M, you’ll gain a variety of skills that will help you think and practice like a physicist.
|Skill||Description||Exam Weighting (MCQ)||Exam Weighting (FRQ)|
|1. Visual Representations||Analyze and/or use representations of physical situations, excluding graphs.||14–23%||4–9%|
|2. Question and Method||Determine scientific questions and methods.||3–6%||6–11%|
|3. Representing Data and Phenomena||Create visual representations or models of physical situations.||Not assessed in the multiple-choice section||13–20%|
|4. Data Analysis||Analyze quantitative data represented in graphs.||14–17%||8–13%|
|5. Theoretical Relationships||Determine the effects on a quantity when another quantity or the physical situation changes.||25–32%||20–24%|
|6. Mathematical Routines||Solve problems of physical situations using mathematical relationships.||14–20%||20–24%|
|7. Argumentation||Develop an explanation or scientific argument.||14–20%||11–18%|
Study Guides for Every Unit
⚡️ Unit 1 - Electrostatics
- 1.1 Electrostatics
- 1.2 Electric Fields & Electric Potential
- 1.3 Point Charges - Fields & Potentials
- 1.4 Gauss' Law
- 1.5 Other Charge Distributions - Fields & Potentials
🔋 Unit 2 - Conductors, Capacitors, Dielectrics
- 2.1 Electrostatics with Conductors
- 2.2 Capacitors
- 2.3 Dielectrics
🔌 Unit 3 - Electric Circuits
🧲 Unit 4 - Magnetic Fields
- 4.1 Magnetic Fields
- 4.2 Current-Carrying Wires & Magnetic Fields
- 4.3 Biot-Savart Law and Ampère's Law
⚛️ Unit 5 - Electromagnetism
- 5.1 Electromagnetism
- 5.2 Inductance
AP Physics C: E&M MCQ and FRQ
- ✍🏽 Ultimate Guide to the AP Physics C: E&M Exam: A complete breakdown of the entire AP exam, including tips, strategies, and practice questions for both the MCQ and FRQ.
- 🤔 Is AP Physics C: E&M Hard/Worth Taking?: A breakdown of the two most asked questions about AP Physics C: E&M, including tips and advice from previous AP Physics C: E&M students.
Check out all of our AP Physics C: E&M Resources!
- Where can I find Fiveable's AP Physics C: E&M resources?
- Do you provide support for AP Physics C: E&M?
- Does Fiveable help students pass the AP Physics C: E&M exam?