📚 2023 AP English Literature Study Plan
A plethora of resources that cover everything! This toolkit is constantly being updated with more resources! AP English Lit is a college-level course that will introduce you to literary analysis and develop your understanding of literature through reading and analyzing texts for concepts like character, setting, structure, perspective, and figurative language.
🚨 All you need to know about the 2023 AP English Literature Exam!
The AP English Literature Exam
A breakdown of the exam content by percentage.
|Units||Exam Weighting (Multiple-Choice Section)|
|Units 1, 4, and 7: Short Fiction||42%–49%|
|Units 2, 5, and 8: Poetry||36%–45%|
|Units 3, 6, and 9: Longer Fiction or Drama||15%–18%|
By taking AP English Literature, you will develop a variety of skills that will help you learn to read and think critically.
|Skill Categories||Exam Weighting (Multiple- Choice Section)|
|Explain the function of character.||16%–20%|
|Explain the function of setting.||3%–6%|
|Explain the function of plot and structure.||16%–20%|
|Explain the function of the narrator or speaker.||21%–26%|
|Explain the function of word choice, imagery, and symbols.||10%–13%|
|Explain the function of comparison.||10%–13%|
|Develop textually substantiated arguments about interpretations of a part or all of a text.||10%–13%|
Resources for MCQs and FRQs
⁉️ Multiple-Choice Resources
- ✍🏽 English Literature Multiple Choice: A complete breakdown of the multiple-choice section, including examples and practice problems!
- ✍🏽 Multiple Choice Help: Having trouble with multiple-choice? We got you! Check out this blog for concrete strategies from top-performing students!
- 📹 Introduction to AP Lit MCQ Practice: A replay of a livestream that goes over the basics of the multiple-choice section.
- 📹 English Literature MCQ Practice: A replay of a livestream that goes over practice MCQs.
📜 Prose Essay Resources
- ✍🏽 Prose Breakdown (includes examples): Everything you need to know about the Prose Essay, including advice from certified teachers and thorough examples.
- ✍🏽 Short Fiction Overview: Learn and understand how the AP Exam will use Prose passages to test your knowledge and skills.
- 📹 Short Fiction Bootcamp: Having some trouble? We got you! Check out this fantastic Bootcamp to ease your way into short fiction.
- 📹 Deconstructing the Prompt and Forming Strategies: A replay of a livestream that goes over tackling the prompt and strategies.
- 📹 Introduction Paragraphs: A replay of a livestream that goes over the introductions of the Prose Essay.
- 📹 Evidence and Commentary: A replay of a livestream that goes over the meat of the Prose Essay.
- 📹 Prose Analysis—Characterization & Setting: A replay of a livestream that goes over some prose analysis.
📰 Poetry Essay Resources
- ✍🏽 Poetry Essay Breakdown (includes examples): Everything you need to know about the Poetry Essay, including advice from certified teachers and thorough examples.
- 📹 Overview of Poetry: A replay of a livestream that goes over poetry basics.
- 📹 How Form Creates Meaning: Learn how form of a poem affects the way it's analyzed.
- 📹 Open Poetry Study: Having trouble? We got you! Watch this replay to better understand analysis of poetry.
- 📹 Introductions & Thesis Statements: A replay of a livestream that goes over the beginning of the Poetry essay.
- 📹 Evidence and Commentary: A replay of a livestream that goes over the analysis portion of the Poetry Essay.
🗣️ Literary Argument Essay Resources
- 📹 Figurative Language and Function: A replay of a livestream that goes over the introductions of the Argument Essay.
- 📹 Analysis: Characterization and Setting: A replay of a livestream that goes over the meat of the Argument Essay.
- 📹 FRQ Practice: A replay of a livestream that practices the Literary Argument.
- 🤔 Is AP English Literature Hard? Is AP English Literature Worth Taking?: A breakdown of the two most asked questions about AP Lit, including tips and advice from previous AP Lit students.
- 📚 Best AP English Literature Textbooks and Prep Books: A breakdown of the best materials for you to succeed in AP Lit!
- ❓How to Get a 5 in AP English Literature: Know everything you need to get that 5!
- 🤣 Perfect Memes for AP English Literature: Got jokes? So do we! Learn and understand AP Lit through corny humor.
- 🏫 How Do I Self-Study AP English Literature?: Thinking about self-studying or homeschooling AP Literature? We got you!
- 🤯 AP Literature FRQ Help: A complete breakdown of the writing and thinking process of the FRQs, including tips and advice from previous AP Lit students.
Fiveable has nearly 150 replays, slide decks, and study guides to help you earn that 5!
- Where can I find Fiveable's AP English Literature resources?
- Do you provide support for AP English Literature?
- Does Fiveable help students pass the AP English Literature exam?