🔍 2023 AP Research Study Plan
Welcome to this plethora of resources that cover everything you need to know to get a 5 on AP Research! This toolkit is constantly being updated with more resources! AP Research is the second part of the Capstone experience in which you will design, plan, and implement a yearlong investigation to address a research question.
The AP Research Curriculum
The AP Research curriculum is based on five big ideas.
|Big Idea 1: Question and Explore|
|Big Idea 2: Understand and Analyze|
|Big Idea 3: Evaluate Multiple Perspectives|
|Big Idea 4: Synthesize Ideas|
|Big Idea 5: Team, Transform, and Transmit|
AP Research Skills
By taking AP Research, you’ll develop a variety of transferrable skills and proficiencies that will help you think and act like a researcher.
|Produce Scholarly Work||
Demonstrating the significance of one’s research by explaining the rationale behind the choices made in the research process and logically connecting the findings to one’s conclusions or new understandings
Select and Use Evidence
Evaluating the significance of the findings, results, or product to the purpose or goal of one’s inquiry and strategically choosing such evidence to effectively support claims
|Employ Research Practices||
Narrowing a focus of inquiry and identifying an aligned, ethical, feasible approach or method to accomplish the purpose of the research question and/or project goal
|Analyze Sources and Evidence||
Understand and Analyze Argument
Analyzing evidence for what is known about one’s topic of inquiry to further focus and situate one’s research question or project goal
Evaluate Sources and Evidence
Evaluating the credibility, relevance, and significance of sources and evidence to the choices made in the inquiry process
|Understand Context and Perspective||
Understand and Analyze Context
Contextualizing the purpose and significance of one’s topic of inquiry within a broader field or discipline
|Communicate (interpersonal and intrapersonal)||
Choosing and employing effective written and oral communication techniques, considering audience, context, and purpose to convey and defend conclusions or new understandings
Choosing and consistently applying an appropriate citation style and effective conventions of writing
Working constructively with others to accomplish a team goal or task
Identifying challenges, successes, and moments of insight throughout one’s inquiry, which transformed one’s own thinking and reasoning
Study Guides for Every Unit
🤨 Unit 1 – Question and Explore
- 1.0 Big Idea 1 Overview
- 1.1 Identifying a problem or issue and developing a question about it
- 1.2 Finding and organizing the information you need to answer the question
- 1.3 Evaluating the sources of information you use
- 1.4 Looking at the problem or issue from different perspectives
🔎 Unit 2 – Understand and Analyze
- 2.0 Big Idea 2 Overview
- 2.1 Reading critically for a purpose
- 2.2 Explaining and analyzing the line of reasoning of an argument
- 2.3 Evaluating the evidence an author uses to support their argument
- 2.4 Assessing potential resolutions, conclusions, or solutions raised by an argument
👥 Unit 3 – Evaluate Multiple Perspectives
- 3.0 Big Idea 3 Overview
- 3.1 Identifying, comparing, and interpreting different perspectives on, or arguments about, an issue
- 3.2 Evaluating objections, implications, and limitations of different perspectives or arguments
💡 Unit 4 – Synthesize Ideas
- 4.0 Big Idea 4 Overview
- 4.1 Formulating a well-reasoned argument
- 4.2 Using data and information from various sources to develop and support an argument
- 4.4 Offering resolutions, conclusions, or solutions based on evidence
🗣️ Unit 5 – Team, Transform, & Transmit
- 5.0 Big Idea 5 Overview
- 5.1 Planning, producing, and revising a research paper while considering audience, context, and purpose
- 5.2 Presenting an argument for context, purpose, and/or audience
- 5.3 Reflecting on one’s own and others’ writing, thinking, and creative processes
🎓 The Academic Paper
- Introduction to AP Research and Finding a Topic of Inquiry
- Academic Paper: Literature Review
- Academic Paper: Introduction
- Academic Paper: Methodology
- Academic Paper: Discussion and Analysis
- Academic Paper: Conclusion
- Academic Paper: Bibliography and Citation Styles
- 🤔 Is AP Research Hard? Is AP Research Worth Taking?: A breakdown of the two most asked questions about AP Research, including tips and advice from past students.
- 5️⃣ How Can I Get a 5 in AP Research?: Browse some tips and tricks for you to help you get the score you deserve in May!
View all of our replays, slide decks, and study guides for AP Research to earn your 5!
- Where can I find Fiveable's AP Research resources?
- Do you provide support for AP Research?
- Does Fiveable help students pass the AP Research exam?