🏛 Check out these other AP Gov Resources:
- Attend AP Gov live streams every week with Fiveable+ 👉 Join here
What is Representative Government? ❓
Representative government is based on the system of elected officials that represent a group of people.
There are 3 different types of representative government:
Participatory democracy 🗣
- High involvement in politics and society.
- Citizens have the power to decide directly on policy.
- Politicians are then responsible for implementing the ideas of the people.
- An example would be a town hall meeting.
Pluralist democracy 👥
- Multiple powers influencing policy (think plural = more than one).
- Groups compete for power.
- Strive to have impact on policy making.
- An example is how interest groups compete for influence in today's politics.
- Limited involvement in politics and society.
- Usually the wealthy and well-educated influence policy.
- Usually doesn't express the needs/wants of the majority population.
- An example would be the electoral college.