➕ Check out these other AP Stats resources:
- Watch AP Stats live review streams every week with Fiveable+ 👉 Join Today
There are many terms that you should be familiar with in regards to variables. Many of the different types of variables are briefly discussed below!
1. Discrete Variables 🔢
- Data points with a fixed number of outcomes.
- Example: there are only so many shoe sizes that are manufactured in the world.
2. Continuous Variables ∞
- Continue forever and have unlimited outcomes.
- Example: The length of a snake or the height of a tree are both examples of continuous variables because there is practically an infinite number of outcomes that could be reached.
3. Explanatory Variables 📈
- Goes on the x-axis.
- Is a synonym for independent variable.
- This is the variable you change in an experiment to get altered results.
4. Response Variables 📉
- Goes on the y-axis.
- Is a synonym for dependent variable.
- This is the variable that changes as a result of the explanatory variable.