🏛 Check out these other AP Gov Resources:
- Attend AP Gov live streams every week with Fiveable+ 👉 Join here
Background of the Articles of Confederation 📃
- Within the new nation there was a need for organization.
- The American people feared a national government due to troubles with the British Monarchy, so there was a struggle to determine how much power should be given away.
- The 13 colonies needed to find common ground in order to be prosperous.
Reasons Why the Articles Failed 🚫
Amendments needed to have an unanimous vote.
- The combination of these factors made it impossible to be able to run a successful new nation. Each colony viewed their needs to be more important than the common good of the nation.
- There was no power to enforce laws
- No judicial branch or national courts
- Amendments needed to have a unanimous vote
The combination of these factors made it impossible to be able to run a successful new nation. Each colony viewed their needs to be more important than the common good of the nation.
Downfall of the Articles of Confederation: Shays' Rebellion ⬇️
- A group of Massachusetts farmers were outraged by the increased efforts by the state government to collect taxes.
- They performed a series of violent attacks on government properties.
- The national government was unable to extinguish the rebellion.
- This proved that the Articles did not have the power needed to run the country successfully.