➕ Check out these other AP Stats resources:
- Watch AP Stats live review streams every week with Fiveable+ 👉 Join Today
Mean is simply another name for average ➗
- Calculate mean by adding all of the numbers in a data set and divide by the number of data points in the set
- Example: to calculate the mean of 45, 72, 23, and 68, one would follow these steps:
1. Add the numbers: 45+72+23+68=208
2. Divide 208 by the number of data points (4): 208/4 = 52
3. Therefore, the mean of this data set is 52.
Mean can be used for a plethora of things, including: 📊
- Comparing Distributions
- Drawing a Standard Curve
- Constructing a Box and Whisker Plot
- Calculating a Percentile
When there is an outlier in a group of data, it WILL AFFECT THE MEAN!
Adding or subtracting an outlier will result in a new mean.