📌 Additional Resources:
- Period 6 Review APWH
- Period 4 Review AP Euro
- Period 7 review APUSH
- Gain access to all Fiveable live streams and resources when you join Fiveable+ 👉 here!
Fascism & Its Beginnings
Fascism is a political system that can be categorized by the following:
- radical right-wing form of government
- glorified military and armed struggle
- extreme nationalism
- placing blame for problems on ethnic/economic minorities
- the justification of violence to achieve political goals
- the suppression of other political parties, protests, and independent trade unions
- ruled by a single unit
- Fascist states were totalitarian state- all aspects of society were under government control
How Did it Start?
- The Great Depression created the opportunity for Fascism to rise because it left governments unable to provide for the people and sustain their economies. 💸People were desperate for alternative solutions so they looked to individuals and groups who had new ideas.
- Fascism began to rise in Italy under Benito Mussolini 🇮🇹
- Mussolini took over the Italian government and created the Italian Fascist state
- Fascist ideals and totalitarian style governments then began to spread to areas such as Germany and Spain 🇩🇪 🇪🇸